Remnant Memories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We will be legends..

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Total Annihilation Spring

Go down 
+2
Niko
Inixis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Inixis
Яεмиαиcε
Inixis

Female
Number of posts : 41
Location : The wonderful land of ice, snow, and little asian boys wielding chopsticks bigger than your wrist
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Total Annihilation Spring Empty
PostSubject: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 1:34 pm

Alright, I've been talking about this a bit in game, and I've been spending a bit of time trying to get this 'right'.. I want to make a good impression of it after all.

Total Annihilation, one of the greatest RTS [real time strategy] games created as of yet, which was made back in 1997, a full year before starcraft. It used physics to determine shots, and had emulated 3d graphics. With various units and an emphasis on gameplay, tactics, and resource management instead of story and 'memorable characters'.

Sporting a full orchestral soundtrack created by Jeremy Seoule, whom is found in most of the 'big name' games that have been released, guildwars among them. The soundtrack would react to the different moods of the particular match, such as battle, base building, and aftermath of a battle. Something like this has not been seen in very many games after this one, and definately none before.

The problem? terrible network code and low publicity, Starcraft blew this game out of the water and very few people heard of it.

I'm sure most of you have heard of Supreme Commander, the graphics heavy, large scale robot based RTS.
This is the 'spiritual sequal' of Total Annihilation, created by most of the same people, merely under a different company.
In many ways they have improved apon the gameplay of Total Annihilation, but at the same time they have drastically veered off course from the 'heart' of the game. It is a great game, no doubt about it. But it isn't Total Annihilation.

The middle ground? Total Annihilation Spring.

This is a fan made project which is built apon its own 3d engine, which even older pc's can run, albiet at lowered graphics quality. It was designed to be able to play the original total annihilation, as well as use all the old mod's that total annihilation could run.

The project has grown since then and is capable of running various different kinds of RTS games, including starwars, and gundam based ones. There is even a battletech mod. Some of these mods are quite similar in gameplay while others are drastically different, merely using the same graphics engine.

There are plenty of Total Annihilation based mods which keep the same core game, but with different units.

Here's enough of my yammering, and I'm sure many people wouldn't want to read all this background stuff. Just enjoy the video's.

Two Computer controlled AI's sending wave after wave of troops to their death against each other. Starts slow and picks up around the five minute mark

A battle two players staged for cinematic purposes, which looks really good but is unlikely [not impossible] to have happen in a real match.

Beginning of the video shows a short clip from the original Total Annihilation, then several clips of the different TA based mods on the spring engine.

An example of the completely different types of mods you can find on the Spring engine. This one is akin to the game darwinia. [Not exactly of course, but based on the same concept]

Starts off with audio from the Original Total Annihilation's intro, and shows gameplay clips of TA spring [Total Annihilation Spring]

Trailer of the 'NOTA' mod on the spring engine. NOTA standing for 'not original total annihilation'. I have not played this one, but I believe it just uses many of the same units, but has some drastic changes.

Another example of the different types of mods the Spring engine can run.

Another video showing various gameplay clips

A clip showing how even one little bullet [from a superweapon, a Very Long Range Plasma Cannon (LRPC)] Can ruin your day.

The game can be found here

Last edited by Inixis on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.e621.net
Niko
Яεмиαиτ Đıяεcτoя
Niko

Male
Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 1:42 pm

o_o;;

RTS FTL?

jpjp. Nice post, but I don't see the real point in all this.
Back to top Go down
Inixis
Яεмиαиcε
Inixis

Female
Location : The wonderful land of ice, snow, and little asian boys wielding chopsticks bigger than your wrist

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 1:45 pm

I wouldn't have posted this if there was no interest. I asked in game and a few people were interested, and I told them I would post information on the forum. I'm sorry if you don't like these kind of games, would be really fun to play with you.
Back to top Go down
Niko
Яεмиαиτ Đıяεcτoя
Niko

Male
Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 1:53 pm

I was kiddin'.

I'm no one to go against what you like.

and the fact is, I like RTS games too. ^^;

Just not really too much into them.

Maybe I'll try to play with you. ^^
Back to top Go down
Philleh
Яεмиαиτ Мεмσяy

Male
Number of posts : 193

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 1:56 pm

Total Annihilation Spring Awesome_med
Back to top Go down
Philleh
Яεмиαиτ Мεмσяy

Male
Number of posts : 193

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 1:56 pm

The game looks pretty cool. Nice post btw, some cool vids. dmg ftw :]
Back to top Go down
Inixis
Яεмиαиcε
Inixis

Female

PostSubject: Recommended Settings   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 3:28 pm

Just an important thing people need to do, is set their graphics options decently.

If you don't, you'll at best experience bad lag, and at worst..crash. A lot.

Here are my settings, adapt them to your machine as needed [such as the resolution]. And tweak them after having played a match or two. You may be able to increase your options, or need to decrease them.

Enabling 'LUA' takes quite a bit more system power, but is needed for some mods [Complete annihilation] So use at your own preference.

Total Annihilation Spring Settingsexpert
Total Annihilation Spring Settingsrenderquality
Total Annihilation Spring Settingsrenderdetail
Back to top Go down
atatthemage
Яεмиαиτ Ŋεωвιε
atatthemage

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 5:42 pm

THat is AWESOME
Back to top Go down
Inixis
Яεмиαиcε
Inixis

Female

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 7:02 pm

Nice to see someone agree's. I'd love for people to play sometime...

I do hope my leaving the guild doesn't mean I have to be silent here..I would like to be involved still..
Back to top Go down
atatthemage
Яεмиαиτ Ŋεωвιε
atatthemage

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 6:45 am

After I learn the game, I'll play online.
Back to top Go down
Inixis
Яεмиαиcε
Inixis

Female

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Learned yet?
Back to top Go down
Lord-penguin
Яεмиαиτ Ŋεωвιε
Lord-penguin

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Bah, i love the original total annihilation! I still play it Razz AND i still have the original 2 discs lol. It came with the first computer I got. This game was years ahead of its time and should deserve more recognition in the world of gaming...
Back to top Go down
Untammedu
Яεмиαиτ Ŋεωвιε
Untammedu

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Total Annihilation Spring   Total Annihilation Spring Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 am

Hey guys Smile Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

Total Annihilation Spring
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Remnant Memories :: General :: Spam Can-
Jump to: